Attorneys for Clients Injured in Trip, Slip & Fall Accidents on Public Property in NJ

A slip and fall which occurs on public property can differ from a traditional slip and fall in many respects.  Typically, if a slip and fall occurs on public property, either the city, county or state or other governmental entity will be the party in which the injured person will have to pursue in order to recover civil damages. However, when an individual seeks to recover civil damages against a city, county or state entity there are certain requirements that must be met. It is therefore important to call a New Jersey slip and fall accident lawyer as soon as possible if you or someone you know is involved in a slip and fall accident. Contact our attorneys today at (732) 303-7857 for a free consultation about your case and potential eligibility for compensation in New Jersey.

Slip and Fall Lawsuits Against Public Entities in New Jersey

When a person slips and falls on public property, there are necessary steps to file an injury claim for damages from the accident. First and foremost, the individual must determine which specific government entity, if any, is responsible for the slip and fall.  The location of the slip and fall accident will largely determine which government entity is the entity which had control over the unsafe surface and therefore may have some responsibility.

Once the government entity who had control over the unsafe surface is identified, the injured person who seeks to sue the government entity must put that entity on legal notice.  Putting that government entity on notice is often called a “tort claims notice”.

A tort claims notice is a specific notice which the injured person must file with the relevant public entities which must include information such as the identity of the injured person, a description of the incident and the date of the incident.  The notice must also include the injuries known at that time, as well as other information which is required by New Jersey statute.  The notice must be filed within 90 days of the accident.  This is a very short period of time compared to the general time limitation for filing a personal injury lawsuit in the state of New Jersey.

Additionally, there are other issues and or requirements which must be satisfied before an individual can successfully recover money damages against a city, county, state or other public entity as defined by New Jersey law.

Want to Recover Compensation for Slip and Fall Injuries on Government Property in NJ? Call us.

If you or someone you know has suffered a slip and fall accident in the state of New Jersey, call our New Jersey personal injury lawyers as soon as possible.  Our personal injury attorneys handle slip and fall cases in all New Jersey counties and cities including the county of Monmouth and the cities of Red Bank and Freehold. If you or someone you know would like to come to our firm for a free consultation, call our office at (732) 303-7857 or click on the contact us tab.  One of our lawyers will set up a time to meet with you and discuss your slip and fall accident.