New Jersey Rear-End Accident Lawyers
Rear-Ended Collision Injury Lawyers serving Monmouth County, Ocean County, & across NJ
One of the most common types of car accidents in New Jersey is a rear-end accident. In fact, nearly half of all multi-vehicle accidents in NJ are rear-end collisions. Many of these accidents are caused by driver error and are entirely preventable. Moreover, rear bumpers don’t always protect drivers and passengers in a rear-end collision. These collisions can result is a host of serious injuries, including back injuries, whiplash, neck injuries, and shoulder injuries. So, what can you do if you were injured in a rear-end crash caused by a negligent driver? Although proving fault for a rear-end crash is usually straightforward under New Jersey law, getting fair compensation in your case can be much more difficult than you expect. That is why you should talk to an experienced New Jersey car accident attorney before engaging in any discussions with the other motorist or their insurance carrier.
If you suffered injuries after being rear-ended in New Jersey, our knowledgeable team of NJ car accident lawyers can help. We represent drivers and passengers who have been injured in rear-end accidents in Monmouth County, Ocean County, Middlesex County, Mercer County, and statewide. Our attorneys provide personalized service to our clients, while working together with a single dedicated focus: achieving maximum compensation for our clients. To discuss your rear-end car accident in New Jersey and find out more about your legal options, contact us at 732-825-6120 for a free consultation. We are available 24/7 to assist you.
Common Causes of Rear-End Accidents
A rear-end accident occurs when the front of a vehicle moving behind another vehicle, collides into the back of the vehicle in front of it. The majority of rear-end crashes involve two vehicles; however, there are accidents involving multiple drivers who end up hitting the back of the vehicle in front of them, causing a chain reaction. No matter how safe you are driving, it is possible that you could be involved in a rear-end accident. Some of the most common causes of rear-end collisions in New Jersey include:
- Distracted driving: Driver inattentiveness is the most common cause of rear-end accidents. With the prevalence of mobile technology, cell phone use by drivers is extremely common. Whether it’s texting while driving, talking on the phone while driving, or using the internet while driving, cell phone use poses a major risk to motorists. A driver who is not paying attention to the road is less likely to notice the car ahead slowing down or coming to a stop, which can lead to a rear-end collision.
- Tailgating: When a motorist follows another vehicle too closely, any sudden stop by the lead vehicle can make it difficult, or even impossible, to avoid a rear-end collision. These kinds of accidents are particularly dangerous on the highway because both vehicles are likely to be traveling at high rates of speed just before the accident. New Jersey law explicitly prohibits a driver from following another vehicle “more closely than is reasonable and prudent.”
- Brake-checking: Motorists should never play dangerous games on the road. If a vehicle is following too closely behind, the driver of the lead vehicle is not allowed to “brake-check” the second vehicle or take any other unexpected action that might catch the second motorist off-guard. If a rear-end collision involved brake-checking by the lead vehicle, the driver of the lead vehicle may be at fault for the accident.
- Sudden reversal: Motorists have an expectation that other drivers will drive safely and not make sudden, unexpected decisions. When the motorist in the lead vehicle unnecessarily and intentionally slams on the brakes or suddenly shifts into reverse while driving, that motorist may be responsible for a subsequent rear-end accident.
- Broken tail light: Motorists have a responsibility to ensure that their vehicles are in working order. When a driver operates a vehicle with a blown tail light, it may be difficult for other drivers to recognize when the car is coming to a stop. This can increase the likelihood of a rear-end collision. In these cases, the driver in the second vehicle might not be liable for the accident.
Getting Compensation if You are Injured in a Rear-End Collision in NJ
If your rear-end car accident resulted in a physical injury or vehicle damage, you may be able to recover damages with a successful claim. When filing a claim against another driver for injuries sustained as a result of a motor vehicle accident, the plaintiff must establish that the driver of the other vehicle is liable for the injuries. Liability means showing that the other party is at fault for the harm caused. In order to prove this kind of negligence case, the injured person must demonstrate that the defendant owed the plaintiff a duty, breached that duty, and caused some type of harm.
Obviously, drivers on the roadways in New Jersey have a duty to operate their vehicles in a safe manner. When a driver does not operate their vehicle in a safe manner, it constitutes a breach of that duty. If, as a result of this breach of duty, you are hurt, you may be able to obtain compensation for your injuries. In a rear-end accident case, establishing negligence is often easier than in other types of auto accident cases. Except in rare circumstances, the motorist who crashes into the back of another car will be the driver at fault for the collision.
However, you should be aware that there are certain limitations to filing a car accident lawsuit in the state of New Jersey, such as the “verbal threshold” or “limitation on lawsuit” statute. You could also find it difficult to prove the extent of your injuries, especially because insurance companies tend to require stronger-than-usual evidence of a whiplash injury in a rear-end accident claim. There is also the possibility that the defendant will try to place some, or all, of the blame for the rear-impact collision on you. Our experienced NJ car accident lawyers can help you file your accident claim, counter the other side’s arguments, and get you the compensation you deserve.
Get Help with Your Rear-End Accident Case in New Jersey
Our highly skilled NJ car accident lawyers represent those who suffer injuries in rear-end collisions in Freehold, Toms River, Howell, Long Branch, Princeton, Edison, and throughout New Jersey. When you are facing medical bills, an uncooperative insurance company, lost wages for time off work, and more challenges from an accident, we fight tirelessly for the compensation you need and the justice you deserve. If you have been rear-ended, contact our legal team today at 732-825-6120 for a free consultation. You can also request a free case evaluation online or set up an appointment to discuss all of your legal options with an NJ rear-end accident attorney near you.