Does Flesh Eating Bacteria Exist in New Jersey?
In the waters of New Jersey, a deadly bacterium that can essentially turn into a flesh-eating infection does exist in the waters in New Jersey. Most individuals from New Jersey now know this after a recent highly publicized case of a man contracting the infection in the Maurice River. The bacterium is scientifically known as vibrio vulnificus and it can cause the horrifying flesh-eating trauma described above.
The bacteria is not as deadly as some believe though. While it does take the lives of up to 30 percent of those who contract it, many individuals do survive. It can cause amputations of limbs and other severe complications that are life altering.
The bacteria can be found in brackish and salty waters that are located throughout the state. The bacteria is typically more prevalent in warmer waters which are found in the southern United States but does occur in the northern waters found in New Jersey. The bacteria is more prevalent during the summer months when the weather and water are warmer. Additionally, the bacteria can enter the human body through a very small cut.
It has been reported that many individuals who are familiar with the disease including members of the United States Center for Disease Control have been emphasizing to the public that the likelihood of contracting the infection is very are. Less than 200 cases per year in the United States are reported.
Additionally, individuals can contract the infection through contact with a rock or other substance that has the bacteria on it. One other way in which an individual may contract the infection is through tainted raw oysters or clams. In recent years there have been several reports throughout the United States of individuals suffering severe illness or death after eating a tainted oyster. The infection is particularly dangerous for young, elderly or individuals with weakened immune systems.
According to experts, the best way to prevent contracting the infection is to make sure any cuts are cleaned and bandaged and to eat fully cooked shellfish. Additionally, seek medical attention immediately if you contract an infection. Antibiotics are the most common treatment for this type of injection.